SnapChat+ is a paid subscription version of the social media app that gives users access to exclusive features that would be valuable to an avid user, such as sharing a friend’s location or using custom icons. SnapChat+ was launched on August 10, 2022, reached its first million subscribers on August 15 (less than a week), and today announced they hit 2 million subscribers.
That’s less than six months, more than 300,000 subscribers per month, and more than 11,000 subscribers per day. What’s notable about SnapChat+ to us is that the membership does not remove SnapChat advertisements. As SnapChat has 363 million users, seems like nearly 1% (rounding up, c’mon) of those users, so far, see enough value in the service to pay about a Tall Cinnamon Dolce Latte’s worth every month for those sweet extras.
– ADVERTISEMENT KEEP READING BELOW –
People have been paying for social media for a while now, if you didn’t know. LinkedIn had a paid premium service back in 2005. However, ever since OnlyFans growth exploded from 13.5 million to 82.3 million in 2019-2020, consumer-facing subscription models have become the norm in social.
Here’s a quick run down:
- Facebook and Instagram have their subscription model for content creators.
- TikTok has a LIVE subscription so you can support your favorite LIVE creators.
- Twitter has Twitter Blue for $8-$11 a month, which launched December 12.
- Reddit has Reddit Premium for ad free browsing, free coins, exclusive avatar stuff and more.
- Quora has Quora+ for an ad-free experience as well as exclusive content.
You name the social media, there’s a way to pay a bit more for exclusive content or features.
Good for them. The freemium model is tried and true in the software space, and diversifying their revenue streams is smart.
Interested in SnapChat+? Here’s how you can sign up for yourself. Looks like there’s a 7-day free trial. As of Jan. 31, 2023, it’s $3.99 per month after the trial period.
Get more useful and interesting digital marketing content straight to your inbox. Sign up for our newsletter!